Friday, September 18, 2009

The Naked Sandwich

Years ago I remember reading Peter Lynch's bestseller, "One Up On Wall Street". One of the memorable stories was his discovery of Hanes L'eggs pantyhose in the grocery store when his wife pointed out the cool egg-shaped containers. His follow-on research confirmed it a "buy" and I believe it eventually became a "6 bagger" for him. His theory was buy what you know and keep yours eyes and ears open when roving through the marketplace.

Jim Puplava frequently elaborates on his "cashier surveys". At checkout, he asks the cashier how business is doing. I started doing the same a year ago and the responses can be very interesting and telling.

I just went out for my standard quickie lunch at Quizno's across the street. Walking up to the store, something looked different. Posted on the door was a notice of closing due to lack of rent payment.

As Warren Buffet has stated, "when the tide goes out, we'll see who has been skinnydipping". Looks like I'll have to find a new sandwich.
Keep your eyes and ears open for live market indicators.

No comments: