Friday, February 20, 2009

I'd Like To Take A Big Swing At You Sergeant

My college buddy, Michael P., used to entertain me with his constant renditions of Bill Murray's character in the hit comedy, "Stripes". The movie, one of the great comedy classics from the 80's, had many great "one liners". One of my favorite scenes was when the new recruits were having their first platoon meeting with Sergeant Hulka. Each recruit went around the circle introducing themselves and the country boy, The Cruiser, made this statement about the draft. "I joined the army 'cause my father and my brother were in the army. I thought I'd better join before I got drafted". Sergeant Hulka quickly informed him that "son, there ain't no draft no more!".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=einZgVrnfG0&feature=PlayList&p=F6671499A36BC3E4&playnext=1&index=10


In a prior post, where I made a few predictions about the future, I stated that I believed that the draft would be reinstated in the future. My belief is that conflict will continue to increase around the world and our military is stretched very thin.

For a more serious look at the topic, watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nYPfpGL5TE

Lets hope and pray that none of our children have to become "lean, mean, fighting machines".

No comments: