Monday, March 9, 2009

Talkin' Bout A Revolution

My iPod was "shuffling" today and Tracy Chapman's hit single played away. The lyrics struck a chord with me.
Don't you know
Theyre talkin bout a revolution
It sounds like a whisper
Dont you know
Theyre talkin about a revolution
It sounds like a whisper
While theyre standing in the welfare lines
Crying at the doorsteps of those armies of salvation
Wasting time in the unemployment lines
Sitting around waiting for a promotion
Poor people gonna rise up
And get their share
Poor people gonna rise up
And take whats theirs
Dont you know
You better run, run, run...
Oh I said you better
Run, run, run...
Finally the tables are starting to turn
Talkin bout a revolution

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTyAZTvLfAM

Tracy might have been a visionary.

A serious crime wave has hit our 85,000 person suburb of Houston over the past few weeks. We've had four bank robberies and a family grill was hit one night just prior to closing. In all cases, the "bad guys" were armed. What might surprise some, is that all demographics were represented. This wasn't a minority crime wave, but a diverse crime wave. Two weeks ago a friend had his doorbell rung at 2 a.m. He went to the front door with his shotgun. While at the front door, he heard his back door handle jiggle. He ran to the backdoor and two white 20-something males were at the door window. He cocked the shotgun and told them in some choice words to hit the road. What did they do? They went two doors down and robbed the house where no one was home. A 11 a.m. last week, a white 40-something male (could have been me!) entered a bank with a gun and left with some cash. He ran out of the bank and jumped in a JAGUAR with a female passenger in the co-pilot seat. Were they Dick and Jane?

At a surprise 40th b-day party last night, the conversation amongst the males was about purchasing hand guns. Note, that the six males represented aren't a bunch of NRA groupies. These are guys with corporate jobs and families. I was shocked hearing how two of them had just been to guns stores this week researching what pistol would be best for security purposes. One of them chastized me two years ago for buying my son a shotgun to shoot skeet with. He said then "You're buying a gun for your son? You're keeping it in your house?" He's now buying a pistol to prepare for the revolution. Personally, I'm scared to death of guns. I've never hunted and I keep the skeet shotgun at my office.

In my post a few days ago, I presented the psychology of the investment cycle. I continue to conclude that FEAR is in full force. When the stable sane people start buying guns in preparation for chaos and social disorder, we all should be getting concerned and prepared.

No comments: