Friday, January 22, 2010

Confessions and Contractions

There's an interesting trend of male celebrity confessions lately:

"I have let my family down and I regret those transgressions with all of my heart. I have not been true to my values and the behaviour my family deserves. I am not without faults and I am far short of perfect."
Tiger Woods

"I wish I had never touched steroids. It was foolish and a mistake. I truly apologize."
Mark McGuire

"I am Quinn's father. It was wrong for me ever to deny she was my daughter and hopefully one day, when she understands, she will forgive me. To all those I have disappointed and hurt these words will never be enough, but I am truly sorry."
Former Senator John Edwards

Is there a correlation between the contraction phase and confessions? Are these "spineless jellyfish" taking advantage of the flurry of negative news stories? Maybe they are hoping that Jay and Conan will keep most peoples attention. They might be hoping for the Gary Condit scenario. Remember Condit was the front page news story until 9/11. He was able to quietly disappear from the media.

Either way, "General" Larry Platt summed it up: "Pants on the ground, Pants on the ground, Lookin’ like a fool with you pants on the ground."

Our latest cultural phenom:

No comments: